Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Paying Attention

I am a much different reader than I used to be. I used to blast through books, barely taking in the details as I rushed to finish the story. That's all that mattered to me...story. It's a problem for me now. I have a great story to tell, but I need to take to the time to set the scene and write the emotions and describe the details. It's not enough that they're all in my head. I have to get it down on the page.

That's what I'm doing right now. One more trip through the manuscript, making sure that I've dotted the i's and crossed the t's. I want the world of Eternal Knight to be as real to the reader as it is in my head.

I've been re-reading two novels in an effort to capture how the authors handle description and narration. One is George R. R. Martin's, A Game of Thrones, and the other is Christian Cameron's, Tyrant. I love the way these two authors write.

No comments:

Post a Comment